Welcome! Read Me!

This blog is created to give you a central location to answer any questions you have about my current and upcoming treatments and reactions. It is also created to help me make Lemonade out of the Lemons I have been given, so I will keep this as positive as I can.







Thursday, October 28, 2010

Alopecia (Hair Loss)

OK, we have all heard it. We all know it usually happens. Even the Doctor said it would happen. BUT, WHEN WILL I LOSE MY HAIR???
I am not a patient person who likes to just wait around for something to happen if there is something I can do about it. But this one is a little different I have to either wait or shave it off, And I have heard that shaving isn't always the best option since then you have to deal with stubble until it actually falls out, That doesn't sound fun to me. According to the literature I was given when I received my initial dose of Chemo " Hair loss can begin 10 to 21 days after drugs have begun." So here I sit on the morning of day 10 almost willing my hair to just fly off of my head. (you remember that commercial that the big fluffy cat sneezes on the stairs and all that is left is TONS of cat hair? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUCOLQZhaIA) This is what I would like to happen with me. One sneeze and I am done. LOL) Since I knew that my hair would not be around too long I colored it Mahogany Red and according to Alex, "it is a good thing it won't be around for much longer." Too dark for him, but the color is growing on me a little. A strange thing happened when I did the color though. It was possibly a reaction to the Chemo and the Dye, but my hair is now almost completely unmanageable! It is course and thick (2 words I have never in my wildest dreams used to describe my hair) and I don't know how to handle it. So... I have allowed it to reign. I put in enough product to keep it from looking like I stuck my finger in a Light Socket and let the curls take over. So if you see me and I do not look "normal" just ignore it and we can all rejoice when it finally starts falling out and I can have my sanity again! :)
Although there is a little anxiety that I will have an "ugly" head... It is not enough anxiety to make this positive side effect turn sour on me yet. I am really looking forward to not shaving, and not having to manage hair. A little lotion on top and at most I would use a hat, scarf or other type of head cover and I am on my way. Those days cannot happen soon enough! :)
Waiting to be Bald! I hope it is soon! :)

5 comments:

  1. I always knew you were a little strange. I want to see that picture of you bald with all your hair surrounding you like the sneezing cat :) Way to look on the bright side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aunt chose to get a very short cut so that when her hair began to go, it wouldn't be as dramatic. I love the thought of a sneeze and all the hair flying off.

    You are always so funny and so positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were gonna post pictures of your new hair color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be funny when your hair grows back it will be so straight it won't curl anymore. You won't know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I will Marcy... :)
    I have added the link to the video of the sneezing Cat (as close as can be found since they banned the ad) For everyone's viewing pleasure!

    ReplyDelete