Welcome! Read Me!

This blog is created to give you a central location to answer any questions you have about my current and upcoming treatments and reactions. It is also created to help me make Lemonade out of the Lemons I have been given, so I will keep this as positive as I can.







Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chemo Day 1 (for real)

I can say I have officially survived my first Chemo treatment. I am taking a combo of Toxotere/Cytoxan/Neulasta. I am excited to know that I do not have to take "The Red Devil". :)
We went in at 11:10 and had a consult with Dr. Beck and then it was back to the Treatment room with Tina. When we got there there were 3 others getting their treatment. One was finished up shortly after we got there, and we got started, then another one got added and finished up before we left. They told us to plan on 5 hours and we were done in about 3 hours instead! That was Great! It was nice not to have to send Alex out to get lunch and we could pick it up on the way home. We scheduled the treatment quickly to get it going, so we did not get any preliminary Chemo class info. So we watched the Video that they show in Chemo Class and then the nurse went over a bunch of papers and I have an enormous packet of info that I can read at my leisure. Just some light reading... We'll see how much of it I will read.
Side effects so far:
While getting the Cytoxan I started getting a burning sensation in my eyes and sinuses. Not unbearable, but I guess you could call it mildly annoying.
While getting the Toxotere I had a strong flavor of Metal in my mouth. I tried eating Grapes to solve it, but they tasted like Metal too. Lucky for us they had a bowl of hard candies so I ate a strong peppermint disk and that solved it for long enough.
So far I am just a little sleepy, and don't really have an appetite, but otherwise no effects to speak of.
I had to go to Smiths to get a couple prescriptions, and I saved nearly $8 on my new Prescription Savings card! It took them a while to figure out how to get it in there, but it should be nice from now on! And I bought Bright Red Hair color while I was there. They didn't have pink there, and I didn't feel like going to the Salon Stores for it since it will likely only color my hair for 2-3 weeks anyways. So we will go with Crazy Red. :)

Non-Cancer related happenings of they day were likely more exciting than the actual Treatment. 3 possibly 4 of the 5 inhabitants of the house are dealing with Fluish symptoms, I am not included. It seems to be a 24 hour flu, so they should all be done tomorrow. Cute Quote of the day from Katelynn to Daddy, "Why do I have Bugs in my tummy?" She is such a doll!! Making me smile even when she is sick.

6 comments:

  1. Katelynn came down with it too eh? I'm glad I left Mom and Dad's about the time they showed up yesterday! Can't wait to see the crazy red. Anyone joining you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suz, I know that some will be changing in some way in the near future. Anyone is welcome to join me in any sort of "dramatic" change. You don't have to color it, if you prefer. This can be your excuse to do something you never let yourself do before. I will try to post pics sometime today of the new doo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see! Maybe I'll go get some pink spray paint :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Melanie! You are amazing! Way to outperform the time requirements! You are doing awesome! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. should've asked. pretty sure I have some bright pink in the closet, let me know if you still want it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If thats my mom cindy (I'm new to this) :) then i'm pretty sure we do have pink..remember when i did mine? maybe i'll do it again! Love you aunt melanie you're amazing :)

    ReplyDelete