Welcome! Read Me!

This blog is created to give you a central location to answer any questions you have about my current and upcoming treatments and reactions. It is also created to help me make Lemonade out of the Lemons I have been given, so I will keep this as positive as I can.







Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chemo Day: Episode 2

Can you believe it has been 3 weeks since Chemo Day 1? I sure can't! In some ways it feels like it has gone way too fast, but in other ways it feels like it has been dragging. Yes, I am mostly insane. :) I was hoping to be Bald by the time I was coming back for treatment, and I was basically looking forward to that being a milestone, but it didn't happen that way. I still have hair... as sparse as it has ever been for sure, but here nonetheless. I do plan on fixing that problem pretty soon though. Alex came home from work with a new haircut. So I can't let him be bald and me still have hair! So I think I will try to shave it all off as soon as I can get in.
Today was mostly work in the morning and I was able to do that un-interrupted because the girls were already on their way to Grandma T's when I woke up. Jolynne was able to come and pick me up and take me to Treatment. I am sure that the people in the Treatment room thought that we were a little insane. (not that it is true or anything) It was like we were 15 again, back in Mr Dowdle's History class.
This treatment was not same-old same-old though. I am not sure what is different about this treatment and the last one, but I had an allergic reaction to the Taxotere. It basically felt like everything closed at the neck. I couldn't breathe and it felt like no blood was moving in by head. It just felt like my lungs and head were going to explode. I truly felt like the cartoons that have their head turn bright read and get bigger and bigger until it pops, but I didn't make it to the popping stage. At least I stayed awake through it. Even if I didn't feel like I was really "there". The nurses are great though. I think I maybe had about 90 seconds that I wasn't breathing or at least felt like I wasn't. She disconnected the Chemo and flushed with an IV bag and gave me a quick dose of Benadryl and steroids to help counter the effects, and within a couple of minutes I was pretty close to back to normal just a little heaviness in my chest. She continued to give me the bag of IV until I was feeling more normal, then was able to get back to the treatment without any more issues.
Since I had an extra dose of the steroids it made me REALLY hungry. So once treatment was over we went to IHOP for some lunch. I love girl time! Even if I do have to have Chemo first. LOL Thanks Jo for coming with me to Chemo! It was much better to have you sitting there with me during my drama! I think I ate enough at lunch that I haven't needed dinner yet. :) Over all it was a great day with a little scary part in the middle. I even got some dishes done.

7 comments:

  1. I learned in both my pharmacology class and pathophysiology class that allergic reactions usually happen upon the 2nd exposure. I'm SO glad you are ok. I'm thinking about cutting my hair extremely short, shorter than my profile pic on facebook which is from 2 years ago. Love you and keep being strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAH! Screw the dishes I say!!! You said it right though Mel, it was fun to be 15 again. I'm surprised they didn't kick us out! LOL! Love you tons and tons!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're OK, but what are they doing with your chemo now? They didn't continue the Taxotere did they? Did they try something else instead or just eliminate it? You are so calm about it but I'm sure it was scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip Kristi, that makes sense though I guess. I really liked having the super short hair. And I am really looking forward to the low maintenance baldness. Our house will be saving on a lot of Hair product for the next little while with both of us down to nothing. LOL. Only the girls will need to have anything.
    LaVonda, At this point they are going to keep me on the Taxotere, I finished the bag just fine after the Benedryl, so they will just add that to my process from now on, and only if that doesn't stop the reaction will we look at the options of a new drug.
    Jo it was way too much fun up until the reaction and after. I was happy to have my little Candy-Striper to help us all out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindi's husband was hoping you were going to stick with the original protocol. Hopefully next time won't be so eventful!
    Maybe they would have kicked you guys out if you weren't attached to the IV ;) They probably enjoy the change from the typical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a scary feeling! Thanks for sharing your blog and your experiences Melanie! You have been in my thoughts and prayers. You have such a great attitide!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing typical and about Jo and the Monkster getting together. Keep it up Mel!

    ReplyDelete