Welcome! Read Me!

This blog is created to give you a central location to answer any questions you have about my current and upcoming treatments and reactions. It is also created to help me make Lemonade out of the Lemons I have been given, so I will keep this as positive as I can.







Monday, November 29, 2010

Going into Chemo #3

Well Chemo is tomorrow. It seems like it was longer in between treatments somehow. Maybe it is all of the Holiday festivities. Or maybe it is because Me, Emma and Danielle have been sick the last few days. I dunno. But being sick has brought to light some side effects that I wasn't really expecting, and one that I expected, but not to this magnitude.
I was told before I started Chemo that I would loose my hair. Including my NOSE HAIRS. You don't really think about your nose hairs until they get too long and tickle you when you breathe and making you sneeze, or when they are dangling out of your grandpas nose. LOL But when there are less hairs it doesn't hold in the mucus so much anymore. And when you have a Cold and your nose is running all the time anyways... it REALLY doesn't hold much back! So I am constantly needing to be near a Kleenex Box!
The next thing that has surfaced is something I NEVER thought I would say... I have the same problem as my nose in MY EARS! How weird is that? I mean really?!?!? Runny Ears? Really??? That is a Strange thing.
I am slowly losing some of my eyebrows, but not enough that I look too different yet, and I still have most of my eyelashes as well, so I still feel like I look a little "normal" though I don't expect that to last forever. We'll see if they stick around.
And lastly, there is the strange sensation of a cat licking my bald head. Now that is different too. I am accustomed to this on my hands and even my elbow when they are trying to get my attention and get me to pet them, but the head is all new. That will take me a while to get used to.
On another note. I have been checking things out and was given a great link on the web from my Sister in Law. The Pink Renegades. It has given me a great resource about how to tie scarves and deal with my baldness. Now I can go shopping with a little more information of what I am looking for and how I can tie them when I get them home with some practice. My first trip and try didn't go all that great. :) I will have more time to make it work. On one of her videos there was a song that admittedly made me cry. (but really there are not that many things that don't, and that isn't a HUGE change from before... I get it from my mom) I guess it helped that it was playing as she was having her head shaved, and that brought me back a little. And I always get a little extra emotion the couple days before Chemo for some reason. Maybe the stress of it all or the wonder of what will be different this time... but anyway... it is a song I thought I would share: India.Arie - I Am Not My Hair - ft. Akon

Overall, I think I am holding it together most of the time but we'll see if I still believe that after tomorrow. :)

5 comments:

  1. You are holding it together well! And the song is right you are not your hair- your nose hair, and ear hair included :) Good luck with the cat licking your head thing. I don't think I could ever get used to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, you are simply amazing! Love you tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I am praying for you! You are so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A clarification on the song. I got more curious after talking to Dad. The "she" she is refering to with Breast Cancer was Melissa Etheridge when she performed Bald from her Chemo at the 2005 Grammy Awards. It was not actually India Arie who went through it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel,

    The cat licking your head? Icky! I hope you put some hand sanitizer on your head after that. I'd be more than willing to bring you a gallon by so you can dump it on yourself when the cat licks you.

    Other than that, glad to see you are being so positive about things. And you have the perfect excuse to go out and shop for hats and scarves!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete