Welcome! Read Me!

This blog is created to give you a central location to answer any questions you have about my current and upcoming treatments and reactions. It is also created to help me make Lemonade out of the Lemons I have been given, so I will keep this as positive as I can.







Thursday, February 24, 2011

Out with the Old...

Well here it is. A day that I thought would take FOREVER to come. And it did take a long time. As of February 1st it was 126 days to be exact! It is the day that I could say, "I am done with Chemo!!!!!" I still have some side effects, but I No longer have to go back to my Oncologists office and sit there getting my veins filled with the Chemotherapy Drugs! That is a great feeling. After going through this for the last 18+ weeks I can honestly say I am TIRED! I have never had so many semi-regular naps and still been so extremely exhausted. With this it is really hindering my memory, schedules and so on.

I am 1 week away from the next step in the journey. Surgery! Hooray! OK, not really, but I am excited to get it over with because it is one more thing that I will never have to do again. As, I think, I have said before I have opted for a Double Mastectomy. So that is definitely not going to be happening again. I have been building up enough anxiety for this that I have brought back my usual insomnia. I just can't slow my brain down enough to get to sleep. It is not even the surgery that I am thinking about most of the time. It is the dishes, other housework, my girls health, shopping, cars, work, family, friends, books, TV shows, games, nothing and everything else in-between. But I plan on sleeping through as much of the pain/discomfort of the surgery, so that will help me catch up on any sleep that I am missing leading up to it. It will be an interesting time since I won't be able to lift any of my girls for at least 2 weeks and potentially longer depending on my healing. I am happy that I will have a lot of help around the house until I am ready to be "normal" again. (I can never claim to be completely normal, so I just call myself "normal" at best)

I had my follow up appointment with my Oncologist this week. I have found out a couple things. The first thing is that with the ridges on my fingernails comes the possibility that my nails could fall off. She said they look OK, right now, but it is not out of the question. I have been having temporary pain similar to how it feels a couple days after hitting your finger with a hammer. It is pretty tender. But at least it is not all day or every day. But other than that, a few residual effects from the Taxotere and my Menopausal side effects, AKA Hot Flashes, will be hanging out for a little bit, then I should be on the path to recovery on that stage. Then after surgery I will begin Radiation and Hormone Blocking therapy. I am not sure how I will react to that, so we will take it as it comes.

My hair is already starting to grow. I had to shave my legs. BOOOO!!! I have absolutely enjoyed having a vacation from that duty! It is a slow growth, and not a complete growth, but enough to be annoying at this point. With this new development I am faced with the decision as to how to handle the growth of hair on my head. I have had some sparse hair growth on my head throughout the process, and have been keeping it shaved down, once a week or less, and now I need to decide when to let it start growing in. Likely, I will not have the strength or possibly the ability to keep shaving on my own after my surgery, so that may force my decision a little, but I am not sure the amount of growth in the few weeks following will be significant enough to warrant anything too drastic, but we'll see I guess.

For now I am working hard to get my home and work in order enough that I can take a couple of weeks completely off and heal. Here's hoping that I can get it there. If you come in my house and think it should be Quarantined..... I didn't succeed. :)

5 comments:

  1. I love you Melanie! You are absolutely, out of this world, AMAZING!!!! You are a tough girl! I look up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy things are progressing Mel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, your positive attitude is amazing and inspiring to us all. We love you and our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let me know if you need anything. From what it looks you have very supportive neighbors / ward. Good luck Mel... and keep smiling! Everything will turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie,
    I found your blog through my friend's blog and I just want you to know that I am praying for you. My mom is a 2x breast cancer survivor and I am high risk, so am on chemoprevention medication as well. I can tell you are an incredbily strong person from your posts and just wanted to let you know :)

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts! I need them more than ever!
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete