Welcome! Read Me!

This blog is created to give you a central location to answer any questions you have about my current and upcoming treatments and reactions. It is also created to help me make Lemonade out of the Lemons I have been given, so I will keep this as positive as I can.







Saturday, May 7, 2011

Race For The Cure!

What a wonderful day!
There is not a better way that I could have started the day than how it began. I was all ready to go and when my mom and dad came to pick me up so we could carpool and not have too many cars to handle in the crowds Dad gave me a gift that my Uncle Lynn had made. It is absolutely Beautiful and really put me in the right "Survivor" frame of mind so that this Race could be a Celebration. What was this Gift? You may ask? It is a Beautiful Plaque Engraved and stained in a wonderful Wooden scroll with one of the best sayings for anyone living with Cancer.




"Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit."

~Author Unknown~



We Picked up Cindy and got to the Gateway very early so we would certainly not miss any of Team Nuke-M-Boobies who was coming. Here we are at the meeting place that we had agreed on.
The inspiration for the Team name and the hats came from the fact that I was about a week and a half into radiation and wanted to play with this a little. The hats are intended to be a Mushroom Cloud and is adorned with the "Radioactive" symbol to drive that point home. It is funny that there were some people who got it immediately but others simply called us the Bakers. I got thinking about it after the event and realized that it fit as well... though I was being "Baked" rather than being the Baker. LOL! It wasn't too long before people started to show up and more and more hats began to be worn in the group. It was so wonderful that so many came to support me and the Cause of Breast Cancer Awareness and a CURE! I have the best Family and Friends in the world and would be nothing without all of you guys!


It was fun to see all the other outfits that people were wearing, team names and other ways they were showing their support for the Cause!


After not too long the race started... too bad we were still at the meeting spot when they started it and it took us nearly 30 minutes to make our way to the starting line because the crowd was so massive! Here is a view just as we made it across the Starting Line. People as Far as the eye can see!
In hindsight having started so late I probably should have taken the 1 mile route so that I could spend more time relaxing, but I enjoyed the walk with those who were with me! I was fortunate that the Radiation had not yet begun to burn my skin yet. It was only sapping my energy a little. It was perfect timing! :)
Here is proof that I did the whole thing. I didn't get a Pic of me with the Mile 3 marker, but I got the one at the finish line. :)

What a great Walk!

I got through the finish line just in time to join the Parade of Survivors. Although I was in the wrong group, as the Newly Diagnosed had passed earlier, I made it up to the Stairs where all of the survivors were headed. It was quite a sight to see all of these wonderful women who have been through the same battle as I am fighting and have WON! I ended up standing there next to a woman who was a 30 year survivor! How wonderful it was for me to see that while I am in a stage where it is so new in my own life.


I won't lie, I started my day with tears, and I had many tears in the midst of the event, and even more after I came home. But it was such an uplifting thing to be a part of! I have done it in the past for Family and Friends, but this time I did it for Me! And I hope that in some small way My contribution and those funds that Me and my wonderful Team were able to raise will be able to get us one step closer to finding a cure, so that My Daughters don't have to hope for a cure for Their Daughters.
In Addition; I hope that those people who hear my story will not be scared to find that lump, That they will get their check-ups and if they do find one that they will not be scared to get it checked out and treated! There is a wonderful Sisterhood out there and while it is never the club I would have signed up for on purpose, I am happy that there are so many inspirations to help me through each and every day!

4 comments:

  1. Great post Mel, I am so privelaged to have you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kori. I am so glad you were able to come! You are so wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in tears a time or two myself. It was good to see all the people supporting my sister directly in our group or as a big gigantic group :) Love you Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are simply amazing!!!
    Love Jo!

    ReplyDelete