Welcome! Read Me!

This blog is created to give you a central location to answer any questions you have about my current and upcoming treatments and reactions. It is also created to help me make Lemonade out of the Lemons I have been given, so I will keep this as positive as I can.







Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A stitch in time saves nine

Well if this saying is true and that having one stitch done now will save me from having 9 more stitches later, I don't want to see what would cause 9 times the number of stitches I have had recently, not even counting the ones in the original surgery. I don't even have a guess at this point how many I had then. I keep meaning to ask my Doctor if he kept track, just for the record. But I keep getting distracted at my appointments, so that keeps getting missed.
During my surgery the doctor put in two skin grafts. They were small maybe 1 inch in radius. Unfortunately,  as my doctor warned may be possible, the center of each did not survive. So, last week I had a small procedure to remove the areas that were not thriving. It was a small in office procedure that took about 45 minutes, but let me tell you one thing... It is the Strangest Thing to be awake and watching your surgeon doing surgery on you while you are awake. I am not a fan of needles, so I closed my eyes during the time of the stitching. I am not sure how many stitches I ended up with but it seemed like around 18 in total for that visit. Through the weekend I had some redness and other things that made me worry about infection, so, I was back to the Doctors office today. Lucky for me he said it is a pretty superficial infection and was caught early enough that it shouldn't be an issue in the long run. So I got 10 new stitches and I'm back on another round of  Antibiotics and this time it better be for good. :) One "good" thing that we found during today's trip was that I am getting my feeling back around the surgical site... This is a good thing, but I would have preferred to continue to be numb until I am completely done with all this surgery business. I guess I will be relying on more pain meds for the remaining follow up's. I thought for sure that it would be a lot longer before I would have feeling, so I guess this is a good indicator that I am actually healing up and I do have hope of some small hint normality in my future. Hooray!!!

Switching gears a little; On Saturday I had the chance to celebrate the life of one of my biggest Cheerleaders since I had started this whole Cancer Road. My Friend/Manager/Co-worker Chad passed away of a heart attack last Sunday. I have spent the last week remembering the past 6-7 years that I have known him. But more recently, he was there to support me, and make fun of my bald head, my Crazy hats, my Chemo Brain, and my roller-coaster emotions. He was A Lot like my own big brother. Never letting me take myself too seriously! I am grateful to him for his advice. He had more than one family member who had gone through Cancer, and he was able to relate how he perceived the process. That was a great benefit for me since I knew that I could walk in to work and I could say what I felt and I knew it was likely something he had heard before and always seemed to have an upbeat answer to any of my problems. He was my Rock at work. And even after I was laid off he would call me at least once a week to check in on me and how I was healing up or how my job hunt was going. I am so grateful that he was there for me in all of my drama and could help me laugh about it all! I am glad that I was able to spend what was to me a short time getting to know such a great friend. Maybe I will type a little louder in his honor at my next job. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment