Welcome! Read Me!

This blog is created to give you a central location to answer any questions you have about my current and upcoming treatments and reactions. It is also created to help me make Lemonade out of the Lemons I have been given, so I will keep this as positive as I can.







Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Here we go again...

Well things are all in the preliminary stages of everything, but I know that there are a lot of people curious and needing more information. So here goes...

For the last few weeks I have been having pain in my back. I have been to the Chiropractor, but it was very temporary relief. Then last week it got to be so intense that I couldn't take it anymore and I had my mom take me to the ER after the girls had gone to bed around 9 PM on Friday night. It was a long night, we left the ER around 3 AM on Saturday. When we got there they had to get me set up with an IV so they could give me Morphine to give me some relief... (it didn't work) they also did some blood draws. What they were looking for is elevated levels of Calcium and one that shows signs of blood clots that can sometime cause this type of pain. While I was waiting for those results they gave me another shot of Morphine... (it didn't help) and then set me up for an xray of my back as well. Well the xray didn't tell us much, I have some mild arthritis and some degenerative discs but nothing that should be causing me to be in as much pain as I was in. So they set up a CT scan to check for blood clots because that blood test came up high, But that didn't show us any blood clots either. Unfortunately my lung was also in this shot and they saw a mass around the Stem going into my lung. Because of my history with Breast Cancer they decided that it is most likely cancer. They also set me up to get an MRI of my spine to make sure if there is anything else going on, and then told me to get an appointment with my Oncologist. I was an obedient girl and did that and after a little bit of a fight also got the MRI scheduled.

I had my MRI Tuesday morning and then went to my Oncologist shortly after. We didn't have the results on the MRI until the end of the appointment but after my Oncologist saw the CT Scan he said that he agreed with the ER diagnosis. Once he was also able to get the MRI results at that time he said there were also a couple spots on my spine. So with all of that put together it was more likely for it to be cancer on both spots. My Oncologist then prescribed me with a Steroid to help me with my pain. It is better than the Morphine and Percocet that I have tried, though it is also not perfect, but at least I can move without screaming. That is definitely better!

The chore now is to determine if it is my Breast Cancer Metastasized or if it is a completely different thing. So... Tomorrow I am going in for a PET Scan to check my whole body for any other signs of Tumors. Friday I will go in for an MRI of my Brain to find out if there is anything in there. (no jokes about them not finding anything after 3 kids and Chemo I will be shocked if they find anything there too.) :) Monday I will get set up to start Radiation on my back so that we can hopefully give me even a little more relief from my pain, Tuesday I will go in for Results on the first two tests and then Wednesday I will go in for a CT guided Biopsy of the spots on my back. Then I will be back in the Oncologists office on the following Wednesday to get the results of the Biopsy. Then once all of that is done we can start to actually get a plan in place to figure out where we go from here.

At this point I know many people have offered to help. And I am so grateful to be surrounded by awesome people!! I wish I had something to help with at the moment, but mostly we are in a phase where we are just playing things by ear and trying to figure out what we need and what we will be doing and for how long... So... I will definitely be letting those of you who have offered to help know what is needed as that becomes apparent to me. (I hope sooner than later, but you never know with these things.) In the mean time please continue to pray for me and my family. I know that will be the biggest help at the moment.

I haven't told the kids all of what is going on until I have a plan that I can tell them as well. They have been through this before so I am hoping that they won't take it too hard. But in the mean time if you talk to them please don't talk to them about it yet. All they know right now is that mommy's back is hurting and they have to be gentle with me for now.

11 comments:

  1. Damnit!
    I wish I had a light-hearted, encouraging comment to put here, but I don't.
    Damnit!
    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I know you know more than anyone how this feels. :)

      Delete
  2. Melanie we love you & are praying for you & your family! I would love to help out with whatever you need! Until you receive more conclusive results, we will continue to pray for a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie SpanglerMay 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM

    Melanie I am so sorry... Prayers being sent your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie my thoughts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PRAYING FOR YOU! Hugs sweet Lady! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie I'm sorry for the bad news. I remember the radiation being very helpful for Mom's bone pain when she had it done. I'll be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear that... I thought of you as we did the Komen Race for the Cure on Saturday. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete